Sunday 10 January 2010

To shoot or not to shoot - that is the question

I'm back after a well needed break. Not that anyone actually missed me or anything.

I've been taking a look at the stats of the league leaders, Leksands IF. When studying them closer, one or two things stand out - such as their league position.

My biggest gripe with how the team is playing is quickly revealed in the stats; Leksand used to be an attacking team - not any more. From the 33 games played so far this season, LIF has only shot more than their opponents have in 8(!) games. Considering the team has won 23 of these games, I guess there are no grounds for complaints. Feck off - I'm about to get started! I think you can safely say that there can't be many teams that has shot less and won more. Jocke Eriksson has been the difference in most of these games. Now his stats are impressive.


Bloody show-off!

So what's the problem? Well, for starters, Leksand has got a wage bill most likely 50% higher than any of the opponents in Allsvenskan. Some players might not be worth all that money, but there is still enough quality in the team to dominate most of the opponents. It's not like Leksand supporters are alone in thinking they'd rather pay to watch a good game of hockey with some attacking flair rather than seeing good players being restricted to the degree where they are being glued to their own blue line by the coach. Ok, our players are not the best in the world, but I have a sneaky feeling Strömberg would give the same orders to Ovechkin. That man hates hockey and I'd like to see him given a life ban from Ejendals Arena.

At least Almtuna has figured out how to deal with his negative tactics. Good on them (record so far: GP: 3, W: 2, L: 1, GD: 8-3, SoG: 111-54). The problem is I think we'll be just as exposed in Kvalserien as well. In that competition it is not advisable to let the opponents have 40 odd shots on target. Not that I think we'll be able to change that aspect of our game with that man still in charge.

Needless to say, I'll happily be proven wrong on any of the points made above.

No comments:

Post a Comment